Backpackers - What you should know!!!

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

Ok please can members give me a hand putting a list together of things backpackers need to be aware of when moving, living, travelling in Australia.

What prompted me to write this is three things that I've heard backpackers saying recently which I personally think are bad moves, doesn't mean they are in everyone's eyes.

So here goes:

1) I have read of numerous backpackers in the South starting to make plans to migrate North.

Now I don't want to spoil your fun or seem like I'm a bossy mother hen but please reconsider.

From November until March is wet season in the North, not only wet but cyclone season as well and believe me if we do get a heavy wet or a cyclone coming through roads can get blocked, flights can get cancelled, the supermarkets sell out of food the only think that dries up is work as people don't holiday up here in the wet. Now dont get me wrong, the wet season can be fantastic, the waterfalls raging, rivers in full flow. However the humidity is a killer, so if you get a job make sure its under the aircon :wink:

Also you won't be able to venture in the water as its stinger season.

So how should I plan my trip around Australia?

Well personally I would keep North between March and November and then head South for the lovely summer down there. Just remember dry season up North is still 25 + degrees each day

2) I heard someone the other day (not on here thank goodness) telling someone to sign up to an agency (fee paying) to get themselves their tax file number and it would be quicker. Please DO NOT pay anyone to apply for your TFN there is no need at all. I admit the tax office often lose applications, its happened to both my sons now, but you aren't going to get it processed any faster by paying someone else. Remember you need to be in the country to apply. Once you arrive get online and complete the form https://iar.ato.gov.au/IARWeb/default.aspx?pid=4&sid=1&outcome=1

3) Do NOT pay anyone to find you a job, you can do this easily yourself and also check the backpacker job vacancies section here: http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/backpacker-job-vacancies/

We received this email the other day. Please take time to have a read through. There are a number of people who pray on the vulnerable.

Hi, I work for the education department of Consumer Affairs Victoria. In Victoria, we have received reports of scams offering fruit-picking jobs. We like to warn overseas travellers who are thinking of working here and have prepared the following article for you to include in your communications. If you do use this, I would appreciate if you can send the published link.

Spring yields new crop of fruit-picking job scams

Job seekers on working holiday visas should be on the alert for scam emails, advertisements and fake websites offering fruit-picking jobs in Australia, for an up-front fee. The advertisements target backpackers seeking seasonal work and often include ‘free’ accommodation at the place of employment.

Working-holidaymakers are particularly vulnerable to unscrupulous operators. Consumer Affairs Victoria advises backpackers looking for work to thoroughly research any employment broker or agency promising jobs, before paying them.

In particular, be wary of job offers that require up-front fees; include ‘free’ accommodation; offer ‘guaranteed’ income or jobs; or advertise harvesting jobs picking the wrong seasonal fruits or vegetables (for example, picking summer fruits in winter).

Seasonal job seekers should also conduct their own research of the crop farming area, including the types of produce cultivated and the harvest times and methods used.

Other warning signs to look out for include advertisements that only provide a post office box contact address (no street address) or any agency that guarantees you a quick visa or sponsored employment to work in Australia.

For further information, view http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/news-...p-of-job-scams

or go to http://www.scamwatch.gov.au/

Please if anyone is struggling to find a job pm me before you risk paying money to someone. Please don't just pm me without looking for your own job first, I am busy and get hundreds of emails/pms everyday. I don't mind helping if you are desperate. However most jobs I hear about I do post here http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/backpacker-job-vacancies/

Met a group of german and dutch youngsters out in the backblocks last September and they were perusing a book of maps that had a very small scale, something like 150 km /cm. and trying to work out their destination...Oh dear :no:

Get good maps that show features and fuel.

Take adequate water, most petrol stations have free water, it's a sight cheaper than bottled water. When I go into the backblocks, I carry 80 litres; you never know when a radiator hose will burst, or someone else needs water.

Cheers, Bobj.

If you end up working in a restaurant. Work in one that has air con. Last summer in Brissy with no aircon was hell. Probably up to about 50+ in the kitchen with rather high humidity!

I found that applying for tax returns and super was easy enough to do on your own, no need to use an agency. It only takes filling in a couple of forms that takes a few minutes and if you go to the tax office that are very helpful.

The main thing I see backpackers misunderstanding is future visas. If you have no qualifications, and have only ever worked in a job that isn't in the sol or csol, you CAN NOT be sponsored, no matter how much your employer wants to keep you. I have seen many people who 'know someone who got a visa without skills'. In every one of these cases, either the visa was turned down, or they DID have skills. Unfortunately it is like Chinese whispers and it gets far too many people's hopes up.

My last tip, email yourself all your passport, visa, insurance numbers etc. If you end up loosing everything you can just log in to your emails.

Guest The Pom Queen
Well Kate we are coming wet season or no wet season! We probably are crazy and i'll be moaning that i'm too hot but i don't care right now i'm too excited!!

You aren't really a back packer, more a local lol, so i will let you off, and I am sure I know a house where you can shelter if a cyclone heads this way :wink: